Before you arrive
We hold a pre-joining event for all offer-holders. The event is held locally to our campus in Malmesbury and enables offer-holders to:
- Meet their future year group, Dyson Institute staff, colleagues and current Undergraduates in an informal setting.
- Visit the Dyson Technology campus.
- Hear about any changes at the Dyson Institute.
- Have a conversation about any specific support requests/needs/concerns.
- Ask any questions of Dyson Institute staff and current Undergraduates.
We don’t want finance to be a barrier to anyone attending this event and will reimburse travel expenses – please see Financial Support for further information.
The Dyson Institute degree apprenticeship integrates academic study and workplace experience. Whilst bringing together academic theory and work practice has obvious benefits, it also poses distinct challenges for our undergraduates; as they set out to live independently for the first time in their lives, they have to cope with the demands of adapting to the world of higher education and the world of work.
Fully aware of the challenges this important life transition poses, we provide a comprehensive three-week induction programme that includes support around the following areas:
- Time management
- Living independently
- Managing your finances
- Working in teams
- Communication skills
- Safety training
- Academic writing
- Accessing support services
- Phased introduction to working in Dyson engineering teams
- Cooking lessons with Dyson’s head chef
The induction period includes a busy social programme, designed to help the Undergraduates to get to know each other, other year groups and the Dyson Institute team as well as to familiarise themselves with the local area.